Microelectronic Circuits Centre Ireland (MCCI) is an EI / IDA technology centre hosted at Tyndall National Institute. Its mission is to carry out industry-led world-class Analog, Mixed-Signal and RF integrated circuit research and to deliver trained people and IP to industry. MCCI is already collaborating with 40 companies and many of the staff eventually transfer into the thriving microelectronics industry in Ireland. MCCI targets real-life applications with its research and currently has projects in diverse topics such as Cryo-CMOS, med-tech, bio-sensing, wireless communication, ultra-low power circuits and power-management. MCCI is carrying out innovative research in the areas of Radio Frequency, Frequency Synthesis, high speed optical transceivers, high performance data-converters and power management integrated circuits to enable new applications.
Reporting to Dr. Daniel O’Hare, Principal Investigate in Sensor Interface Circuits at MCCI, the position involves the design of low power precision Analogue interface circuits to electronically capture sensor outputs. Smartphones and the Internet of Things (IoT) have enabled an exponential growth in the numbers of sensors measuring our surroundings. To date each sensor requires a separate analogue interface. In this project we want to investigate novel circuit architectures that can help achieve flexible, low-power, multi-functional sensor interfaces. It will involve working with the team to understand sensor system requirements, propose novel circuit solutions and then design an integrated chip to demonstrate the circuits.
Please refer to www.mcci.ie for more information.
- The candidate is expected to be creative and self-motivated, and should help create an efficient and friendly atmosphere within the MCCI teams and beyond to teams at Tyndall.
- Propose innovative circuits to meet the requirements of the Sensor system.
- With guidance, implement the solution on an integrated circuit. This involves system level simulation, algorithm development, schematic design, layout and validation of manufactured silicon.
- Engage in the dissemination of the results of the research, as directed by and with the support of senior MCCI research staff.
- Help junior research staff (e.g. MEng and PhD researchers) with the system design and circuit implementations for their projects
- Participate in Education and Public Engagement activities, as required.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the Tyndall Quality Management system.
- Ensure all activities are compliant with the required Health and Safety standards.
- Carry out any additional duties as may be reasonably required within the general scope and level of the post.
- Graduate degree in Electronics Engineering or in a relevant discipline and typically with 2 years’ experience in integrated circuit design
- Master degree in Electronics Engineering with Circuit Design projects.
- Knowledge and previous experience with and working in chip design and layout.
- Design experience on Analog Circuits, Data-converter or RF circuits
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for interaction with internal and external partners.
- System modelling experience using MATLAB Simulink or Verilog-A or equivalent.
- Previous experience working as part of a project team.
- Good mathematical ability and knowledge of statistics.
- Knowledge and previous experience with and working on layout/Physical design using Cadence Virtuoso.
- Technical innovation and initiative – evidence of such from prior experiences
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- The successful candidate will be highly innovative with a strong desire to create world-beating integrated circuits research for real-world applications.
What’s on offer
You will have the opportunity to:
- Work as a highly valuable research team member in a world-class technology centre that has a very young, dynamic, vibrant and self-driven work environment that focuses on high impact research results which are strongly aligned to Industry partners.
- Develop and advance your career through direct contact with the semiconductor industry and/or IEEE publications.
- Attend and publish work at leading conferences such as IEEE Solid-State Circuits and IEEE Circuits and Systems conferences.
- Attend training courses and workshops, and use the latest industry CAD design tools.
- Publish in leading IEEE journals.
- Benefit from excellent working conditions including 23 Days of annual leave.
Any queries relating to this position can be forwarded to Dr. Daniel O’ Hare on email firstname.lastname@example.org
Appointment may be made on the Senior Executive Officer Scale B (new entrants) salary scale €35,682– €50,534 per annum. Salary placement on appointment will be in accordance with public sector pay policy.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com